Technical Description Reflection

Abigail L. Ureña                      

Prof. Crystal Rodwell

Writing for Engineering

13 April 2020

Self Reflection for Technical Description

The technical description assignment was the first time I have ever written an assignment like this one. For this assignment, I was analyzing every single part of a G-Shock watch, and I also had to mention their functions inside of the watch. In order to be able to write this technical description, I spent countless hours reviewing different watches and the materials used to make watches. After I choose which watch I would be analyzing, I read many different manuals discussing every part of the watch. I read books, and found diagrams of the watch’s interior and lists of the parts used. Then after I found the list of the parts, I found the materials from which these parts are made from. I also did research regarding the watch’s history and manufacture. In the technical description, I discussed some competitors of the G-Shock watch that I chose. After analyzing and gathering all of my sources and information, I began the tedious process of writing the technical description with extreme attention to detail. 

When I began writing this paper, I wasn’t sure how I would approach this topic. Making an outline and conducting peer review sessions were extremely helpful for me. Making an outline allowed me to map out how I would approach the assignment, and the format that I would use to write the technical description. I decided that I would first discuss the history and development process of the watch; then a detailed description of the watch; then a precise description of every single part, and the materials used for it and why these materials were best for its function in the watch. Then I discussed some competitors of this watch, and I constantly mentioned how this watch was a great innovation that is helpful to many essential industries across the world. Throughout the entire technical description, I subtly included some elements that would persuade the audience to think that this is one of the greatest watches on the market. My writing would have influenced a consumer to purchase the product, because I included persuasive writing, and I also included information to back up all of the claims I made about the watch. 

My peers and I had consistent discussions on how we would approach this technical description, and what we each would implement to improve our assignments. We used the feedback from each other to enhance each of our technical descriptions. This was advantageous for me because it allowed me to examine my own work to see what could be improved, and notes on the draft also allowed me to recognize what the technical description needed in order to be more effective. I struggled in many phases of this technical description. One aspect that I received some comments on was the methods I used to discuss the watch. It was suggested that I make a chart of the list of parts, then describe every single one of it’s functions in the watch. In this description, I was able to formulate and articulate a stance in my writing, and draw on other sources to develop rhetorical sensibility and practice using various sources to locate sources that would be useful to be in this writing process. 

Writing this technical description  allowed me to learn many things that I can apply to the rest of my writing in this class, and beyond. The lab report analysis obliged me to read and write from a different perspective; I had to be rational in examining the parts of the watch, yet I had to be subtly persuasive to persuade the reader that this is one of the best watches on the market. During the revision process, I implemented the suggestions that my peers recommended. Overall, I think I achieved the purpose of the assignment, I wrote a technical description that included every part of the watch, I also talked about every type of material used in the watch, and the history and innovation process that created the watch, and I also mentioned some competitors of the watch, and while including all of these elements I used persuasive writing and word choices to persuade the audience to think this was one of the best watches on the market. I also accomplished some of the course learning outcomes of this course.